The history of the United Church of Christ, Congregational, is rooted in the history of Medina. Congregational worship services began in 1817 in a log cabin shared with the Episcopalians shortly after the first settlers arrived in Medina Township. The congregation was established in 1819 and worshiped in the cabin, which was located about 3 miles northeast of the present city. When the village of Medina was laid out in its present location a few years later, the congregation purchased its present site on the corner of Liberty and Broadway at the northeast corner of the square. A brick church was built and First Congregational Church began its historic witness to the people of Medina that continues to this day.
The location on the square was important to the early Congregationalists. The church was to be a visible presence to the community of Medina physically, morally and spiritually. Our location on the square continues to be important as we continue our Christian witness at the center of activity and government for the city and county of Medina. It is a reminder that our mission and ministry must reach out and make a difference in the life of our community. Many of the leading citizens of Medina have been and continue to be members of the church.
The present brick Sanctuary was completed in 1882 and extensively remodeled in 1972, when the Chapel was added. The Christian Education wing was completed in the 1950’s. Work is done frequently to maintain the beauty of our church facilities, including our beautiful stained glass windows and large pipe organ. The popular Hobby Horse Preschool is owned and operated as a ministry of the church.
In 1957 the Congregational-Christian Churches merged with the Evangelical and Reformed Churches to form the United Church of Christ. The congregation soon changed its name from First Congregational to United Church of Christ, Congregational to recognize the new union, and actively supports the national and international ministries of the United Church of Christ.
We value the special relationship that our congregation has had with generations of Medina residents. We also value the special relationships that our congregation has nurtured with Christians around the world. We actively minister now in Biloxi, Mississippi and Alajuela, Costa Rica. We look forward to ministering to the Medina community and the world for generations to come.
To view photos of the early church, click here.