“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations…teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28: 19-20)
The Discipleship and Education Team (which hereafter will be referred to in this document as the D & E Team) plans, initiates, encourages, coordinates, facilitates and oversees ministries that nurture the Christian education, faith development, spiritual growth and Biblical understanding of our children, youth, and adults.
Membership & Structure
- The Team will begin and close every meeting with prayer/devotion/study as determined by Team at the onset of each new year.
- The Team shall consist of twelve (12) members. The Director of Discipleship and Education and Youth and Family Life Pastor shall be ex-officio members of the D & E Team. Representatives from Junior and Senior High Fellowships shall be welcome to attend Team meetings.
- The Team shall meet ten (10) times annually, with a designated day and time established at the first annual meeting.
- Any member who will be absent must contact the Team leader as soon as possible prior to meetings and events.
- The Team shall elect one or two members responsible for communication of all minutes, activities, events, ministry opportunities and special needs to all Purpose and Resource Teams, the Congregational Council, and the church membership every month. Such communication may be in multiple formats: Medina UCC website, emails, Messenger, bulletin boards and posters, special brochures, and worship announcements.
- All meetings are open to all members of the congregation unless decided by unanimous vote of the Team.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Develop goals and objectives for the education program for both adults and youth.
- Approve curriculum and courses of study to be used.
- Assist in the recruitment and training of teachers and advisors for the education program.
- Support the Minister(s) and D & E Team leader in development and implementation of the Confirmation education program.
- Create and implement, in conjunction with the leader of the D & E Team and the Youth & Family Life Pastor, programs that enhance the spiritual, educational, and social growth of all members of the congregation.
- Provide information and encourage participation in summer programs of camps, conferences and Vacation Bible School.
- Coordinate with the Staffing Leadership Team in providing annual reviews of all salaried Education positions.
- Support and provide counsel to the D & E leader and the Youth & Family Life Pastor.
- Be responsible for the Library Team and annually appoint the Librarian in consultation with the Library Team.
- Seek approval from Congregational Council for the creation of any new and on-going fund for which donations would be solicited and/or whose monies shall be invested separately from the general funds of the church.
- Create Teams from the larger church, as deemed necessary, to carry out its assigned duties.